Monday, 18 September 2017

The Watcher by Ross Armstrong



Follow

Hi Everyone, 

Hope you're all well, as you're reading this (if you're reading it within the first two weeks of publishing) I'm currently on holiday in Florida and my scheduling worked... let's keep all fingers crossed that it all goes to plan!

I'm back today with a book review, I was sent the book The Watcher by Ross Armstrong in return for review as part of the blog tour by HQ Stories.

You can also check out all the tour dates in the tour banner below:


The Watcher is the story of Lily Gullick who lives in a nice new build flat with her husband Aiden. Lily is a keen bird watcher which ends up translating to being an avid people watcher too and after a short while, Lily feels like she knows most of her neighbours across the way in the old estate which is due for demolition.
Naturally curious Lily can't seem to separate her hobby of bird watching from the more intrusive pass-time of essentially spying on her unsuspecting targets through their own windows in their various homes, catching them in their natural environment if you will, however, one day Lily sees something suspicious through her binoculars and the next day she is horrified to discover her elderly neighbour Jean has been murdered.
Lily begins to lose all sense of the outside world as she goes further and further into her observations to uncover the culprit with each new lead sending her further into herself and her voyeurism but Lily isn't the only one who is watching, someone appears to be watching Lily too, and that person could be very dangerous.

I initially struggled to get invested in Lily's character, her obsessive nature was a little hard to get to grips with at times and I found it difficult to comprehend her actions as she is thrown into a seemingly scary and foreboding situation. Lily seems unable to grasp the full gravity of the danger she is putting herself into and for that reason, I was unable to identify with her as a person. The story however was an interesting one with a twist I didn't see coming (and I'm usually pretty good with twists!). The last few chapters of the book made it for me as I had been a little uncertain where the story was leading up until that point.
Once a fair amount was revealed about Lily's character I was then able to connect the dots and assign more meaning to her seemingly erratic and compulsive behaviours.

Overall, I gave 'The Watcher' 3/5 stars and I'd be interested to read it again to see if there was something I just wasn't getting first time round, I feel that now I know what the twist is, I would be able to see the book from a different viewpoint.

Have you read the watcher? I'd love to know your thoughts!

Bye for now.

Rosy

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. yep, your scheduling works :P

    It doesn't sound like my usual read but I'm intrigued by Lily so I might give it s a go

    Hannah @ The Northern Writes | www.thenorthernwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy your schedule worked! That’s awesome, it’s always good when everything goes as planned. I’ve heard of the Watcher and really want to sink me teeth into it. I love birds and I could totally see me being a bird watcher when I get older. I love a book with twists and this one has them. thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, it's great when you can see a character develop and Lily sounds like an interesting one to watch, hence the name of the book, pun not actually intended.

    Need to pick up a good book, and this one does sound interesting and you'll probably find you'll enjoy it more the second time around.

    Laura xo
    www.shehearts.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice choice! I haven't read it but it defiantly sounds quite interesting :) http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2017/09/the-10-fall-fashion-commandments.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting, almost in the same vein as Girl On The Train (this comment wasn't intended as a rhyme but ok). I'll have to check it out! I hope you had an amazing time away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoy reading your book reviews - I really enjoy seeing how other people found a certain book and reading their interpretation. Sounds like an intriguing read!

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking so interesting!
    Have a nice day!
    Photographer Gil Zetbase

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although it doesn't sound like my kind of book, I have to say I like the idea of a blog book tour! :)

    Your scheduling worked too, yey!


    Hope you are having a really good weekend!

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig