Monday, 14 September 2015

Are We All Terrified of Our Own Thoughts?


Hello Everyone,

So today's post is a little something different, today's post focuses on an issue that has been bugging me for a while now.

Switching off.



The world is becoming so small, long before I started running this blog I noticed it happening and I know I'm not alone, it didn't used to be this way, electricity alone is a blip on the long stretching timeline of mankind (yeah we're getting deep) but growing up I have noticed that the world as we knew it is gone and now this is us.

When I was a pre-teen, if someone wanted to get hold of you they had to either call the house phone or actually knock on your door - IN PERSON and this wasn't just because I was a kid, it was the same for reaching relatives and the adults around too, I know mobile phones have been around for years but they didn't really take off mainstream as in one to every household until I was just hitting my teens. Even when we (my friends and family) all owned our first mobile phone bricks we still couldn't be on them all day because we ran out of credit, instead I would sit and have quiet time to read, to think and to just process.

BOOM 2015 and I work online now and all of our worlds have closed in, for example, if someone wants to get hold of me they can call me on my home phone, then call my mobile, then they can text (if we both have an iPhone they can see when the text was delivered and read) then they can email me, Facebook me (again seeing exactly when I was last active online and when I saw their message) but don't worry because if that doesn't get my attention there's twitter, whatsapp (again with the delivered and read function) snapchat and a whole host of other apps... Meanwhile I spend more and more time bouncing from network to network, emailing, texting, calling, checking likes, blog views and stats, remembering to update that status and then I must remember to schedule those tweets and oh wait that's my phone ringing, 6 missed calls, 19 whatsapp messages, 24 emails, 11 twitter notifications, 3 text messages, 2 Facebook notifications and a Facebook DM - hell, I only drove to the shop I was missing 20 mins!
Then one day it stopped, my phone ran out of battery and I didn't have a charger, after the initial 5 min long panic that I wouldn't be home for two hours to the safety of a charger I just sat, and then after a minute or two I began to think, then I remembered, this is what I used to do! Daydream and wonder, making sense of all the things that have happened that day, that week, that year, I realised it had been a long time since I'd been alone with just me and the re-connection was strange because every couple of seconds at first I'd want to pick up my phone, automatically checking it even though it was dead and this lead me to wonder, are we all becoming scared of our own thoughts?

We seem to do everything we can to avoid being alone with our own thoughts and panic when we have to switch off, it has to be unhealthy, it has to be damaging us.

I have decided I need to think and just be more often, I'm going out and leaving the phone at home, so if you contact me don't worry, I'll get back to you - I'm just remembering my own thoughts.



Hope you enjoyed reading this, have you felt the same?

Rosy xx
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I totally agree with this! I've read a few posts today about people just going without technology for a few days and really benefitting from it. I think technology is awesome, but sometimes I think you do need some time to just ground yourself in the real non-technological world a little bit!
    Jas } photographing the world through stories and biscuits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard once you get into the constant habit of checking your social media every 2 mins like I have, I'll be taking more time out now though

      Rosy x

      Delete
  2. You're so right, I think we all need to set aside some time now and then to just think and be. I think this is why I enjoy train journeys so much - normally, I have little to no signal or internet during the journey, so I'm forced to switch off, think about life, and look at the countryside.
    Great post lovely!

    Helen xx
    Hels Yeah | Fashion & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always have time when I had to travel for work but now I don't travel anymore I've ended up bogged down

      Rosy x

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more, I recently didn't have the Internet for nearly a week and I was glad to have sometime away from it, it made me realise I used it to much. It is good sometimes to just take some quiet time away from everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to just switch off a bit - it can all get a bit much sometimes.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. This is very interesting! I feel that the very internet-based world we live in, is a great thing because I wouldn't be able to blog or make the friends that we have via blogging. However I believe it's responsible for people being anxious and having anxiety, not going out etc. We are so dependent upon it, that we create our own little fictional characters online and we can be whoever we want but in real life, we can be the polar opposite x :)

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I see the internet and the technical world a bit like I see cake, absolutely wonderful - in moderation.

      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig